Coatings, Adhesives, Sealants and Elastomers Market Overview
Coatings, adhesives, sealants and elastomers (CASE) serve many essential purposes across a range of industries. CASE products provide protective coatings on airplanes, bind machine parts together, seal furniture from water damage and much more.
CASE product manufacturing has traditionally relied on the use of petroleum-based materials. However, an increasing focus on sustainable manufacturing practices has led to the introduction of bio-based products in the market. As more manufacturers seek alternatives, we can expect the popularity of bio-based CASE products to continue to grow.
In this piece, we will provide an overview of the CASE market, including common applications of CASE products, challenges in the adhesives and sealants market and opportunities for future growth in the CASE industry.
What Is CASE?
CASE is a category of materials that includes coatings, adhesives, sealants and elastomers. Across a range of industries, CASE materials improve the performance, operation, resistance and appearance of products. When used in place of conventional fastening methods, CASE products provide exceptional durability for long-term use. Let’s take a closer look at the four types of CASE products.
- Coatings: Coatings are materials that get applied to another material, called a substrate. Coatings can be functional or decorative, depending on their intended purpose. Functional coatings — such as protective coatings on machine parts or waterproof coatings on wooden decks — protect the substrate, improve the performance of the final product and may even change the surface properties of the product. Decorative coatings, such as paints and lacquers, enhance the appearance of the product. Coatings can get applied to a wide variety of substrates, including paper, film, foil, wood and metals.
- Adhesives: Adhesives are similar to coatings, but contain a binding agent and hold multiple substrates together. Also known as glue, cement or paste, adhesives provide distinct benefits over traditional fastening methods. Adhesives can bind substrates of different materials effectively and distribute stress evenly across joints. Application of adhesives involves various methods, including contact, drying, heat and pressure. The composition of the substrate material typically dictates which adhesion method will work best.
- Sealants: Sealants prevent fluids from passing through surfaces, joints or openings in materials. In construction and related industries, sealants may also block the flow of dust, heat or sound. You can apply sealants to almost any type of material. Some sealants have adhesive properties as well. However, sealants have lower strength and greater elongation than adhesives, making their primary applications different.
- Elastomers: Commonly referred to as rubber, elastomers are polymers that have both elasticity and viscosity. Elastomers are fairly soft and flexible, and it’s possible to reshape them. When stretched, elastomers return to their original shape. Elastomers are primarily useful as adhesives, seals and molded products and parts.
CASE products can take many different forms, depending on the product’s composition and application needs. Many CASE materials can be liquids, solids or gases, and can be useful under stressful conditions such as heat, pressure and tension.
Uses and Applications of CASE Products
CASE products have valuable applications in diverse industries spanning from textiles to aerospace to consumer goods to architecture. Used for car tires, furniture adhesives, printed labels and paints, CASE products are an essential part of everyday life. Here are the primary industries in the coatings, adhesives, sealants and elastomers market and some major applications within those industries.
- Construction: Sealants and coatings can apply to wood, concrete, roofs and other construction materials to protect structures from the elements and to improve longevity and durability. Inside buildings, sealants serve soundproofing and insulating functions.
- Architecture: Decorative coatings — such as paints and reflective coatings — can apply to buildings or windows to enhance their appearance in architectural design.
- Aerospace: Workers apply sealants and coatings to the surface of airplanes and other aerospace vessels to prevent degradation and wear under high-stress conditions.
- Transportation: Elastomers produce car tires and other rubber parts for vehicles. Sealants and coatings protect car body panels and windows from water, sunlight and other elements.
- Marine: Waterproofing sealants protect ship surfaces from rust and leaks, and block water from permeating the ship.
- Textiles: Coatings print patterns on textiles, and adhesives come into play in the construction of clothing and other textile products.
- Furniture: Industrial adhesives bind wood or metal to create stable furniture pieces. Sealants and coatings may also make furniture waterproof or resistant to fading.
- Printing inks and paints: CASE products are carriers for pigment in printing inks for everything from product labels to T-shirts. It’s also possible to produce paints for buildings, products and art using CASE materials.
- Industrial: CASE products have a wide range of uses in the manufacturing industry and other industrial applications, such as reducing friction, waterproofing parts and protecting parts from corrosion. Adhesives can also bind substrates together effectively.
Due to their durability and versatility, CASE products are critical to many different industries. With a wide range of properties and compositions, CASE products can serve various applications to meet the needs of manufacturers.
What Ingredients Make CASE Products?
Producers of coatings, adhesives, sealants and elastomers have historically relied on petroleum-based ingredients and other non-renewable materials. Despite the recent shift toward more environmentally conscious products, CASE products made with crude oil are still prevalent on the market.
These products pose a threat to the future of the adhesives and sealants market. Petroleum-based CASE products depend on a dwindling supply of natural resources, making the market unstable and unsustainable. In addition, depletion of the world’s natural resources has resulted in substantial damage to the Earth’s waters, ecosystems and atmosphere. Recognizing the severity of this environmental damage, manufacturers have begun to seek more sustainable ingredients for coatings, adhesives, sealants and elastomers.
Bio-based chemical products have recently emerged as a viable alternative to conventional petroleum-based CASE products. Although bio-based chemical products once struggled to compete with traditional chemical production, technology now allows the production of affordable and effective bio-cased CASE products.
Benefits of Bio-Based Ingredients for Manufacturing CASE Products
In the past decade, there has been a notable shift toward bio-based ingredients for coatings, adhesives, sealants and elastomers. This shift is due in part to the instability of the petroleum industry and fluctuating crude oil prices, as well as a growing concern for sustainability among both manufacturers and consumers.
Replacing petroleum-based CASE products with bio-based alternatives can significantly reduce the environmental impact of product manufacturing and create a more sustainable market. Bio-based products produce less chemical waste and pollution than traditional alternatives, promoting a healthier and more stable environment. Bio-based CASE products also reduce U.S. dependence on foreign oil and create more domestic jobs.
As manufacturers embrace environmentally conscious alternatives, the demand for bio-based CASE products will continue to grow. Acme-Hardesty has developed a portfolio of bio-based coatings, adhesives, sealants and elastomers to address this need for high-quality and effective CASE products. Acme-Hardesty designs products for superior performance and quality, using only the best ingredients.
These are the popular CASE manufacturing ingredients we offer.
- Bio-based polyethylene glycols: Acme-Hardesty makes sustainable bio-based polyethylene glycols (PEGs) using a fibrous byproduct of sugarcane production. Our PEGs can be a binding or anti-foaming ingredient in various commercial products — such as toothpaste, skin cream, lubricants, printer ink and food and beverages. In the manufacturing and chemical industries, PEGs are common as lubricating coatings or as a sealant to preserve artifacts. PEGs also have applications in the medical industry as non-active stabilizers in pharmaceutical products and as a basis for laxatives.
- Castor-based polyols: Natural oil polyols from Acme-Hardesty are a typical ingredient in coatings, foams and other polyurethane products. Castor-based polyols provide effective moisture protection when used as coatings and sealants. Our customers use polyols in spray foam insulation for construction or protective coatings for vehicle body panels. We produce our natural oil polyols using a range of base oils, each with unique characteristics. We even offer natural oil, recycled and castor-based polyols. Acme-Hardesty’s polyols are a versatile bio-based CASE manufacturing ingredient.
- Castor oil and derivatives: Castor oil has a broad range of applications in coatings, adhesives, sealants and elastomers market. Castor oil and its derivatives can be a carrier for dyes in coatings, paints and inks or as a varnish or additive in coatings. In industrial sealants, castor oil is common as an emulsifier or viscosity modifier and as an additive in the production of rubber. As an industry leader in castor oil, Acme-Hardesty offers sustainable bio-based castor oil products for CASE manufacturers across various industries.
- Oleochemicals: Produced from renewable and natural materials, oleochemicals from Acme-Hardesty offer sustainability and performance. Oleochemicals can be CASE manufacturing ingredients in the production of bioplastics, lubricants and bio-sustainable solvents. In the consumer goods industry, oleochemicals are popular additives in soaps, detergents and other personal care products. Our line of oleochemicals for CASE manufacturers include a wide range of fatty alcohols, fatty acids, glycerin, methyl esters and more.
- Performance additives: Acme-Hardesty’s line of cutting-edge performance additives can boost product performance and meet consumer demand for environmentally friendly CASE products. Magnesium stearate is a popular performance additive for pharmaceutical capsules and tablets, food products, dietary supplements and other food ingredients. Magnesium stearate can also be a lubricating or neutralizing ingredient. Acme-Hardesty also offers zinc stearate, a popular CASE manufacturing ingredient for sealants, coatings and lubricants. By continually expanding our portfolio of performance additives, Acme-Hardesty strives to provide unique and sustainable solutions for CASE manufacturers.
As a leading supplier of CASE products, Acme-Hardesty is constantly innovating functional bio-based ingredients for coatings, adhesives, sealants and elastomers. We develop sustainable solutions to meet the evolving needs of the coatings, adhesives, sealants and elastomers market.
Current Trends in the CASE Market
A study by Technavio predicts the coatings, adhesives, sealants and elastomers market will grow by $13.9 billion from 2019 to 2023, representing a compound annual growth rate of nearly 5%. As manufacturers seek to expand their product offerings and create higher-quality products, CASE materials play an integral role. Industrial adhesives provide improved performance over conventional binding methods and offer superior strength, distribution of stress and appearance of the final product. Adhesives also eliminate the risk of corrosion, heat damage or physical damage to the product during application.
However, despite this projected growth, the CASE market faces significant challenges due to environmental concerns and the volatility of crude oil prices. The instability of petroleum and crude oil costs may cause the price of raw materials to rise, and, in turn, increase the cost of industrial coatings, adhesives, sealants and elastomers. These challenges of traditional petroleum-based CASE products, coupled with a growing global concern about sustainability, have led to an increased interest in environmentally friendly and green alternatives in the CASE market, such as bio-based CASE products.
The bio-based coatings, adhesives, sealants and elastomers market has shown steady growth over the past few years and is expected to continue to grow as CASE manufacturers partner with ethical additive suppliers. As the environmental concerns of the CASE industry gain public attention, manufacturers are increasingly turning to bio-based materials as a sustainable alternative.
The growing demand for bio-based CASE products has also driven innovations and advancements in this field. Leading suppliers of bio-based chemical products — such as Acme-Hardesty — continue to develop better solutions for sustainable and environmentally friendly CASE products. The bio-based CASE industry has become increasingly effective and profitable, positioning this sector to dominate a large share of the CASE market in the future. As CASE manufacturers look toward emerging coatings, adhesives, sealants and elastomers market trends, embracing bio-based CASE solutions should be at the top of their list.
Choose Acme-Hardesty for Your CASE Product Needs
CASE products play a crucial role in a diverse range of industries, from construction and architecture to textiles and printing. As the CASE industry continues to grow and evolve, it has seen a significant shift toward more sustainable products and practices. To meet this demand for environmentally friendly CASE products, Acme-Hardesty offers a broad portfolio of bio-based coatings, adhesives, sealants and elastomers.
Acme-Hardesty develops bio-based chemical products for superior functionality, performance and quality. Our commitment to sustainability means all our products use top-notch natural ingredients that are environmentally friendly and ethically sourced. We innovate solutions to meet our customers’ individual needs and unique challenges. Our inventory of bio-based CASE products is constantly expanding to provide the perfect solution for any application and stay on top of the latest industry trends.
When you partner with Acme-Hardesty, our experienced team will work with you to develop CASE products that match your needs and goals. You will experience the competitive advantage of high-quality, cutting-edge ingredients that meet your consumers’ demand for sustainable products. As a leading distributor in the coatings, adhesives, sealants and elastomers market, Acme-Hardesty has the products you need to get a leg up on the competition. Contact Acme-Hardesty today to learn more about our bio-based CASE products.