- Chemical Name:
- 1, 2, 3-Propanetriol; Glycerol
- Product Details & Information
Glycerine, also known by the names Glycerin or Glycerol, is one of the most versatile and safest chemicals available. Pick up any cosmetic, OTC medicine or personal care product and chances are high that you will find Glycerine as an ingredient. This simple polyol compound is sweet-tasting, odorless, colorless and soluble in water. Because of these properties and more, glycerine has found applications in a huge range of industries, from food and medicine to personal care.
Acme-Hardesty offers several grades and varieties of Glycerine. Our vegetable-based (from Palm Oil or Palm Kernel Oil) USP Kosher Grade Glycerine 99.7% has numerous certifications, including RSPO, SAFE, BRC and GFSI. With all the major cosmetic producers announcing their intention to use only RSPO certified Palm Oil by 2013, it is becoming a critical requirement. Our USP palm-based Glycerine also meets the criteria for natural under the guidelines of FDA 21CFR101.22 “Natural”. All our palm-based Glycerine and Oleochemicals are non-GMO, allergen free, and BSE free. In addition, we offer biodiesel Glycerine made primarily from Soybeans, Industrial/Technical Grade material, and Soap Lye Crude Glycerine.
Glycerine Storage and Handling Details
Acme-Hardesty glycerin should be kept in a tightly closed container away from sources of heat, light and flames. Exposure to any of these factors can cause chemical degradation and damage to the supply. Any long-term chemical storage should be maintained at temperatures between 16-40°C, in a dry and well-ventilated location.
Glycerin is non-toxic, but should be handled with care. It can cause irritation if it encounters the skin or eyes, and can be toxic to the kidneys in large doses. When handling any bulk chemicals, always wear appropriate protective clothing that protects the skin and eyes.
For detailed storage and handling information, please consult the downloadable glycerine MSDS sheet at the bottom of this page. If you need assistance or clarification, feel free to contact Acme-Hardesty to speak with a representative.
Choose Acme-Hardesty as Your Kosher, Food Grade, & Bulk Glycerine Supplier
With more than 70 years of experience in the oleochemical industry, Acme-Hardesty is a leading crude glycerine supplier, offering glycerine and many other sustainable oleochemicals for industrial use. Our focus on bio-based chemicals and sustainable sourcing has served us well, leading to long-lasting customer and supplier relationships, and fellowship with our many partners. Together with our sources, Acme-Hardesty has raised the bar for responsible industrial chemical production, and we will continue to do so into the future.
Glycerine is just one of the many products Acme-Hardesty offers in our selection. For more information about our glycerine products or any of our other bulk chemicals in stock, use the form on this page or call Acme-Hardesty directly. Buy glycerine online with Acme-Hardesty today!
- Uses & Applications
Glycerine is used in a huge range of applications, favored for its chemical qualities. Some of these glycerine applications include the following:
- Food and Beverage: Food grade glycerine is a common ingredient in many low-fat foods, most commonly functioning as a filler. Additionally, it serves as a humectant, solvent and artificial sweetener in food products.
- Flavor and Fragrance: Glycerine is often used as an intermediate in the production of flavors and fragrances.
- CASE: Glycerine is a common intermediate, softener and plasticizer in CASE applications.
- Pharmaceuticals: USP grade glycerine is a common ingredient and humectant in pharmaceutical preparations, commonly found in allergen immunotherapies cough syrups, toothpaste, mouthwashes and skin care products.
- Soaps and Detergents: Glycerine is a common intermediate in the production of soaps and other cleaning agents.
- Nutraceuticals: Glycerine not only works as an excipient for vitamins and minerals, but it is also commonly used to manufacture gel caps.
- Personal Care: Glycerine is often found as an ingredient and humectant in the personal care industry. Everything from cosmetics and creams to soaps and mouthwashes uses this chemical in one form or another.
- Pet Food: Refined glycerine is a common humectant in pet food, retaining moisture to keep the food from drying out.
- Polyurethane: Polyurethanes often use glycerine as an ingredient. It’s a common ingredient in polyurethanes and polyols for flexible polyurethane foams.
- Lubricants and Greases: Glycerine is often used as the lubricating agent in many industrial and home lubricants and greases.
- Textiles: Glycerine is a common intermediate, dispersant and lubricant for textiles, involved in the production of yarn and fabric.
Within these applications, glycerin poses little to no hazard to human health and safety. For more information about potential applications of glycerin, kosher glycerine options and how to order glycerine in bulk, please contact our office to speak with a representative.
- Grades and Forms Available
USP, Kosher, Tallow, Veg, Technical, Soap Lye Crude
Drums, IBC's, Liquid Bulk Glycerine. Drums and 5 Gallon Pails of Veg USP Kosher 99.7% Glycerine are also available from our Online Store
Acme-Hardesty provides quality Glycerine, produced using ethically sourced and sustainable supplies. Whether you need a few drums or a railcar of bulk vegetable-based Glycerine, our exceptional service will make Acme-Hardesty your Glycerine supplier of choice!
- Shelf Life
Two Years in Drums, and One Year in Bulk, from Date of Manufacture when stored according to MSDS recommendations
|USP Reference Standards||Current USP/NF||Current USP/NF|
|Glycerine on Anhydrous Basis, %||99.0 – 101.0||USP|
|Glycerol Content, %||99.7 min||USP|
|Identification||Meets Identification A, B and C||USP|
|Infrared Absorption||To Conform to Current USP||USP <197>|
|Diethylene & Ethylene Glycol Impurities:||To Conform to Current USP||USP|
|Diethylene Glycol (DEG), %||0.1 max||USP|
|Ethylene Glycol (EG), %||0.1 max||USP|
|Related Compounds:||To Conform to Current USP||USP|
|Any Individual Impurity %||0.1 max||USP|
|Total Impurities, %||1.0 max||USP|
|Identification C||To Conform to Current USP||USP|
|Specific Gravity @ 25°C||1.2613 min||USP <841>|
|Color||To Conform to Current USP||USP|
|Color, APHA||10 max||AOCS Ea9-65|
|Residue on Ignition, %||0.01 max||USP <281>|
|Water Content, %||0.3 max||USP <921> Method I|
|Chloride, ppm||10 max (0.001%)||USP <221>|
|Sulfate, ppm||20 max (0.002%)||USP <221>|
|Heavy Metals, ppm||5 max (0.0005%)||USP <231>|
|Arsenic, ppm||1.5 max||Supplier|
|Limit of Chlorinated Compounds, ppm||30 of Cl max (0.003 %)||USP|
|Fatty Acids and Esters, mL||1.0 max||USP|
|Residual Solvents||To Conform to Current USP||USP <467> Method IV|